Tagliatelle with tomato ragù is a simple little pasta dish which is full of the flavours of summer. The sauce is easy to make but needs time to cook. If any is left over you can use it as a tomato topping for pizza or as a tomato sauce for meat or fish dishes.
- Sauté the carrot, celery and onion until the onions are soft but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, bay leaves, tomato paste and water and season with salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours adding a little water if necessary.
- When the sauce is ready season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Bring the pasta water to boil in a large pot and add the salt.
- Add the pasta to the pot and follow the instructions on the packet for the cooking time.
- When the pasta is cooked, strain it and return it to the pot. Add some of the sauce to the pot and toss well. Serve immediately and top up each plate with the remainder of the sauce.
- Garnish with a few basil leaves.
Dicing: When dicing the carrot, onion and celery, dice them as finely as you can and then dice them again. They should barely visible in the cooked sauce.