Roast chicken is one of the great international classics, is one of the easiest things to make, requires almost no skill or preparation and all you really need is a chicken, some salt, an oven and an oven-proof dish. This one is flavoured with some lemon, garlic and ginger.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Juice the lemon, crush the garlic, grate the ginger and mix together with the olive oil. Fill the chicken cavity with the lemon skin and the the skins or any bits left over from the garlic and ginger.
- Rub the lemon, garlic, ginger and oil mixture into the chicken skin. Wash your hands carefully. Holding the chicken in one hand and the salt in the other, sprinkle plenty of salt all over the chicken and then use both hands to rub it in.
- Place the chicken on your oven-proof dish, wash your hands carefully and pop the chicken into the oven.
- After 20 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and continue to cook for the remaining 80 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, wrap it in some aluminium foil, cover with a kitchen towel to keep it warm and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before you carve it.
Cooking time: The cooking time depends on two factors, the weight of your chicken and the temperature of your oven. Here is a meat roasting calculator which you can use to calculate the time down to the minute.
Serving suggestion: A simple green salad, any fresh vegetables of your choice. Roast potatoes which you leave the skin on, cut in half lengthways and toss in a bowel with some olive oil and salt and then place around the chicken for the last hour of cooking.
Essential Hygiene: Please make sure that you wash your hands thoroughly every time you touch the raw chicken, before you touch the salt or anything else and make sure to immediately clean everything which has come in contact with the chicken.