Baked cod in Saffron foam is delicious. The cod is baked in a matter of minutes and doesn’t fall apart and you can prepare the sauce hours or even 1-2 days before you need it and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Pour half of the wine into a small bowl or cup, add the saffron and allow it to draw for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the shallot and the garlic in a small amount of butter in a small pot until they are soft but not brown. Add the rest of the white wine and vermouth and reduce until half the quantity is left.
- Add the fish stock and cream and using a hand blender purée until the sauce is smooth. Reduce for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the saffron into the pot and and use a little wine to rinse out the bowl. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, drizzle the sauce onto you plates or, if you want a foam, use a hand blender to quickly froth the sauce to a foam and carefully spoon it onto your plates.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Wash the fish and pat it dry with some kitchen paper.
- Line an oven proof dish with aluminium foil. Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil on to the foil and spread it evenly.
- Arrange the fish fillets in the oven proof dish, drizzle the remaining oil over them and season them with a little grind of salt and pepper. Pop the dish into the oven for 8 minutes.
- Serve with any vegetable of choice, potatoes or a salad.
Shellfish Stock: You only need a simple shell fish stock for this recipe. I make it by boiling 6 frozen prawns with their shells, if you have them, in a pot with 100-150 ml of water and reducing it to the quantity needed.